Friday 26 October 2012

Vanilla pumpkin seeds

As soon as my two year old started seeing pumpkins in the shops, she was desperate to get her hands on one. They are quite exciting for a little person as look like a brightly coloured ball!

So I bought one to carve for Halloween. I hate to waste the inside of the pumpkin and scraped out both the seeds and flesh ready for cooking.

First I roasted the seeds. I have done this quite a few times, but usually use sunflower oil and salt, possibly some spices. I decided sweet vanilla seeds would be a nice change.

Recipe
80g pumpkin seeds, rinsed and drained (a whole pumpkin's worth!)
1 tbsp sunflower oil
25g sugar (or try 20g I you have a really sweet tooth)
1 capful vanilla extract

1) Preheat oven to 200 degrees
2) Mix everything up really well
3) Spread over a baking sheet, preferably one with silicon paper (available from Lakeland) to make sure they don't stick.
4) Roast for around 15mins, stirring a couple of times, until they are just beginning to brown.

Variations:
I think using cinnamon instead of vanilla would work well, as would mixed spice.

I hope this encourages you not to throw away your seeds this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment